Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Centered

Today I was blessed by a random email from a friend.  This email was of the genre that gets forwarded multiple times for its "cute" or interesting nature, not necessarily for its profound life altering earth shattering truths - accompanied by a musical score and scenic photos.  Very many of the recipients probably scarce gave it a second glance.  I'm sure there were a few polite "thank you" acknowledgements to the sender.  But I did find profound truth in this email.  I am thankful for the reminder there-in.  The gist of it is as follows:




In the Bible, the shortest chapter is Psalm 117
Conversely, the longest chapter is Psalm 119
Between these two is (obviously) the 118th Psalm

There are 594 chapters in the Bible before Psalm 118
There are 594 chapters in the Bible after Psalm 118

By chapter count, Psalm 118 is the very center of the Bible.

The email went on to total out the sum as 594+594=1188, drawing relevance to Psalms 118:8 as a central message to the Bible.

Big.  Deal. 
Who cares?  Not to be flippant with the Holy Word of the Living God, but why all of the number crunching?  What is so important or noticeable about this?  Why the accounting lesson?

Perspective.

How many of us would say we are seeking God's will for our lives?  How many of us are seeking to know Him more intimately?  How many of us yearn to know the fullness of joy that He would have us daily walking in?  How many of us desire to be centered in Him?

"O GIVE thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His mercy and loving-kindness endure forever!"
Psalm 118:1

"Out of my distress I called upon the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free and in a large place."
Psalm 118:5

"The Lord is on my side and takes my part, He is among those who help me; therefore shall I see my desire established upon those who hate me."
Psalm 118:7

"It is better to trust and take refuge in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
Psalm 118:8

"The Lord is my Strength and Song; and He has become my Salvation."
Psalm 118:14

"I shall not die but live, and shall declare the works and recount the illustrious acts of the Lord."
Psalm 118:17

"I will confess, praise, and give thanks to You, for You have heard and answered me; and You have become my Salvation and Deliverer."
Psalm 118:21

"This is the day which the Lord has brought about; we will rejoice and be glad in it."
Psalm 118:24

"You are my God, and I will confess, praise, and give thanks to You; You are my God, I will extol You."
Psalm 118:28

"O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His mercy and loving-kindness endure forever."
Psalm 118:29


Don't you find it interesting that the very center of God's Word to us is an admonishment to center ourselves in Him, to praise and pursue Him?  Note the benefits of doing so.  Uncertain about a decision?  Trust and take refuge in Him.  Encompassed by enemies and those who seek your downfall?  Praise and call out to Him.  I love the underscore of verse 8, the epicenter of mathematical numbering of the above listed email - take your eyes off of men for your salvation/solutions/deliverance and put your confidence in HIM!  And all throughout this centering of focus is praise, praise, praise.  The chapter starts with praise and ends with praise.  We can never praise enough because He inhabits the praises of His people and transforms the world in which they walk when they praise Him.

I encourage you, read this chapter, the whole chapter, often.  Center yourself in the Word - and watch Him center your world under His designs for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment